There are many ways of getting access to Google’s email program/Gmail which include access through internet browser, phone app, desktop client or through configuring other e-mail clients to work with an existing Gmail account. Here are 6 ways of entering your account on your PC or smartphone or setting up your Gmail account on other e-mail clients.
In a Web browser:
How to get access in your web browser on any device connected to the internet:
One of the easiest and most popular methods of getting access to your Gmail is through a browser (Chrome, Mozilla, Opera etc.). Open your browser and type in the address bar the following link: www.gmail.com and you will be get redirected to the Google sign-in page where you enter your Gmail address and password.
- If you don’t have a Gmail address you can create one by clicking on the “Sign In” button. Remember that your credentials are case-sensitive.
- If you want the computer to remember your credentials, check the box beneath the “Sign In” button. We recommend you use this option if you have a personal computer.
- If you cannot log in with your credentials, use the “Need Help?” link option and follow the steps mentioned there or reset your password instead.
On Apple devices – iOS
The Gmail app is available in App Store and you can install it for free.
- Open App Store on your Iphone/Ipad and press “search”;
- Type “gmail” -> “Gmail – email from Google” and tap “Get” -> “Install”
- Launch the Gmail app from home screen.
- Enter your credentials to sign in.
On Android devices
On Android the Gmail app is already installed, just tap the “Gmail” icon to launch the app.
If your Google account linked to your Android is the same as the one you use for Gmail then you can launch the app without making changes. But if you need to add a Gmail address follow these steps:
- Open the Menu ≡ box -> “Settings” -> “Add Account”.
- You are now on the “Set up email” stage;
- Select “Google” tag -> “Next” and type your address -> “Next”.
- Tap “Accept” to terms to complete the process.
There is also a “Forgot password” link if you don’t remember the password and want to retrieve or reset it.
Any mail will sync to your device, which can take either several minutes or several hours, depending on your mailbox size.
Configure other E-mail clients
- Use your web browser to log in to your account. Configure a different e-mail client (Outlook, iMail or Thunderbird) to send or receive emails from your Gmail account but only after you set Gmail to enable connections from other programs. There are two services available:
- Enable IMAP
- Click the icon at the top right of your inbox then select “Settings” tab
- Press the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab
- Select “Enable IMAP”
- Enable POP
- Select “Enable POP for all mail” (this is a useful way to avoid saving copies of your Gmail messages on the server)
- Click the “Configuration Instructions” link that’s under IMAP or POP (whichever you chose). On Google’s official support page there are all the current server addresses necessary to input into your e-mail app.
- Navigate to the mail client’s account settings page. The location is different depending on your mail client.
For iMail users
- Click “Mail” -> “Add Account”
- Pick “Google” and sign in with your credentials
- Follow the steps to receive your messages on your Mac
For Outlook or other programs users
- Click “Tools” -> “E-mail accounts.” To configure your settings.
- Select “Add New Account” -> “IMAP” or “POP” based on your prior choice and click “Next”
- Enter the “Configuration Instructions” info into the blanks.
If you experience difficulties with setup – access the Gmail troubleshooting page
Multiple Accounts Sign-in:
Gmail grants access to multiple users to be signed into their accounts simultaneously on a single computer. It will help you switch between multiple accounts on both the web and mobile devices in the Gmail app (to select another account, tap your profile icon and tap the menu tab)
- Open browser and log into your Gmail account and click the profile image (previously chosen) at the top right corner of the screen;
- Click “Add Account”. A list of Gmail accounts that have signed in recently will appear on your screen;
- Select another account to sign in: (if there are other user accounts listed, choose one to sign in)
- Click “Add Account” to sign in a different user and enter credentials for this user, then click “Next” to sign in. (Click directly on profile icon of current user and select “Add Account” to add more users)
- Switch accounts between users by clicking the user’s name or profile icon.
- To add another account, click the profile image, then choose “Add Account”.
The Gmail user is the active user on other Google products (Google Photos etc.) To sign the currently active user out of Gmail, tap profile icon and select “Sign Out.”
Offline Gmail app with Chrome
- Open Chrome web store in browser and look for the Gmail Offline plugin (retains up to 7 days of offline emails). Use it to see recent emails in case your internet connection goes out or Google goes offline.
- Select “Add to Chrome” and click “Add app” box to confirm, then open a new tab and the Offline Gmail plugin should be added;
- Launch Gmail Offline by clicking the “Gmail” icon at the bottom of the new tab -> “Allow Offline Mail” in the new windows -> “Continue”
- Check offline email by opening a new tab
- Click the 9 square cubes “apps” icon (top right corner) to see a list of installed apps
- Click Gmail Offline icon