You might have known that WhatsApp was available for mobile devices only, such as Android, BlackBerry, iOS, and Windows Phone. Well, you may already know that it has come to the desktop as well. WhatsApp is now available for Windows 8 and above and Mac OS X 10.9 and newer.
WhatsApp for desktop is just an extension to your phone, as it mirrors the messages and conversations from your smartphone. You have to log in to the app by scanning the QR code with the WhatsApp mobile app. The moment you do it, all your chats will be loaded.
You can benefit from this, as it would provide desktop access and notifications to your favorite keyboard shortcuts. It is fast and responsive, contrary to what others think. Despite the fact that many consider it a small thing, it provides more places to gain access to it. Thus, the more places that you do, the more often you can use it. With a billion users already, this feature should give WhatsApp one more good reason to keep the app open 24/7.
Here are ways on how to download it for your desktop, preferably for the Mac.
- Go to the official website of WhatsApp whatsapp.com/download in which you will be able to detect your operating system.
- If it can detect your OS, then you can download the app right away. However, you have to pick the appropriate version manually.
- You can download the app for Mac OS and Windows, but you need at least version 10.9 or newer running for the Mac.
- After downloading the app, you have to install it.
- The moment you have installed the app on the Mac, a barcode will reveal itself on the screen that you have to scan via a mobile device.
- Use your smartphone and go to the WhatsApp Web option and add another device on the list. Take notice of the camera, as it will be activated and you will have the chance to scan the barcode from the desktop screen.
In order for the app to work on your computer, it is required that you have the app up and running on your mobile device. For this reason, you can tweak some features on it from the Settings menu. You can also include the app to run automatically upon logging into your computer. By doing this, you don’t have to worry about starting the app manually each time you turn your computer on.
New features of WhatsApp are also released for everyone. This is the ability to delete messages after being sent to the recipient. Provided the recipient hasn’t read the message yet, the sender will have 7 minutes before it expires. However, the deleted messages will leave a note indicating a message has been removed by the sender. This might be great news for most users because it can stop unwanted messages from being read on the other end. Just make sure you have updated the app to the latest version to enjoy using new features for everyone.