A South Australian man has been charged with advocating terrorism by filming demonstrations on how to kill Jewish people — the first time the charge has been laid in Australia. An Australia Federal Police spokesman said it was the first time anyone in Australia had been charged with advocating terrorism. The Flinders Park man, 50, was arrested at a facility in Northfield today and was charged with four counts of advocating terrorism.
He was arrested on Thursday after information was passed to the South Australian Joint Counter Terrorism Team through the National Security Hotline and will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court at a later date.
Police will allege in court that the 50-year-old man posted videos to social media that encouraged people in overseas conflict zones to commit terrorist acts. Police said there were “no current or impending threats to the Australian community as a result of these (the man’s) activities”.
Commonwealth prosecutor John Clover told the court the four counts relate to four separate videos posted to social media.
“In each video the defendant is depicted advocating with other persons to engage in acts of terrorism,” he said.
“(The videos) provide explicit verbal instructions as well as physical demonstrations with weapons as to how to kill Jewish people,”
“Your honour may detect from the nature of the matter that it’s going to be a complex brief.”
The man could be heard saying “all lies” from the phone link as Mr. Clover spoke. Police will allege the offenses occurred between July 28, 2015, and November 4, 2015.